This site is still on v2.92, but I will be upgrading when 3 is released. So, what do we blog owners need to do:
- Check out the new features in 3.0 – there are some major changes to the dashboard coming up
- Check that the plugins you use are compatible (or at least won’t break anything major) and look for compatible alternatives where necessary
- Check that your theme is still compatible after the switch
- Warn your readers that the upgrade is nearing and get them to tell you if things break
- Start reading the Alpha/Beta sub-forum of the WordPress.org Support Forum to see if your problems have been found and fixed already
- Be prepared to have to delve deep to fix odd little errors that may crop up
- Contact your host (where applicable) to find out when (or if) they plan to make the upgrade happen
- Write about your experience on your blog!
I recall a lot of people having issues that could have been avoided when the last major release took place, so try not to get caught out.
Related articles by Zemanta
- WordPress 3.0 RC3 Available for Download (shoutmeloud.com)
- WordPress 3.0 RC (wordpressguru.eu)
- WordPress 3.0 Release Candidate Available for Testing (ostatic.com)
- How to Upgrade WPMU 2.9.2 to WordPress 3.0 in 5 Easy Steps (pressography.com)
- Is your WordPress version up to date? (wordpressguru.eu)