Hey gang. This post will show how much I love (or even luv (this will become apparent later)) you all. WordPress version 3.0 – codename Thelonius – is released and available. Blog owners should go now to their dashboard and, if the upgrade isn’t flagged up, click the relevant button to upgrade in seconds.
So, have you noticed anything different with the blog itself? No, me either. Everything went absolutely swimmingly – all plugins were fine and working and the theme is absolutely solid. So, for me, this was absolutely and utterly painless. Hopefully your own upgrade will be too.
I did make two smallish changes. Firstly I have turned off IntenseDebate. The only reason I had it, really, was for threaded commenting and WordPress does this natively these days so we don’t miss out by not having it. One thing I did forget is that Gravatars are
a bit messed up with native commenting, so I’ll be looking at a fix for that… all fixed now, so no problem!
Now I have switched to the native commenting, I have re-enabled CommentLuv, a plugin I have used for ages and will always recommend to bloggers. Now that is native, I have more control over it. Comluv has been tested prior to WordPress 3.0 being released and it works like a charm. (This bit should hopefully explain the “luv” comment at the start of the post).
So that’s that. Hopefully you are seeing the blog in all it’s glory and with no issues. Please let me know if anything is broken, not working or doing something odd.
This site is still on v2.92, but I will be upgrading when 3 is released. So, what do we blog owners need to do:
- Check out the new features in 3.0 – there are some major changes to the dashboard coming up
- Check that the plugins you use are compatible (or at least won’t break anything major) and look for compatible alternatives where necessary
- Check that your theme is still compatible after the switch
- Warn your readers that the upgrade is nearing and get them to tell you if things break
- Start reading the Alpha/Beta sub-forum of the WordPress.org Support Forum to see if your problems have been found and fixed already
- Be prepared to have to delve deep to fix odd little errors that may crop up
- Contact your host (where applicable) to find out when (or if) they plan to make the upgrade happen
- Write about your experience on your blog!
I recall a lot of people having issues that could have been avoided when the last major release took place, so try not to get caught out.
Related articles by Zemanta
- WordPress 3.0 RC3 Available for Download (shoutmeloud.com)
- WordPress 3.0 RC (wordpressguru.eu)
- WordPress 3.0 Release Candidate Available for Testing (ostatic.com)
- How to Upgrade WPMU 2.9.2 to WordPress 3.0 in 5 Easy Steps (pressography.com)
- Is your WordPress version up to date? (wordpressguru.eu)
I use Zemanta every time I write a post. The artwork normally to the top left of any post is usually picked from a selection suggested by Zemanta. The tags I pick are, again, from a selection suggested by Zemanta. And that little “reblog” icon at the bottom right of every post? Yep, that’s from Zemanta too. Zemanta is a very useful tool in a blooger’s tool kit and I hope that this will persuade you to try it out on your own site.
Let’s take a look at what it does. From the Zemanta Learn page:
Zemanta is a tool that looks over your shoulder while you blog and gives you tips and advice, suggests related content and pictures and makes sure your posts get promoted as they deserve to be. We at Zemanta are thinking hard to help make blogging easier for you. We’re engineering better creative tools to help you get the most out of your blogging time.